Monday, July 15, 2013

What to expect when your expecting...engagement edition. (The good, the bad, and the ugly.)


I began officially dating my fiancé on June 25, 2012.  On February 9, 2013, he proposed to me in front of my parents and grandparents at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.  It was on that day that my life changed forever.  

What did I expect?  For some reason, I expected time to fly. I expected my friends, family, and coworkers to be as excited as I was for such a joyous occasion.  I expected my Pinterest to come to life and all of my wildest wedding fantasies to become a reality.  Imagine my surprise when things didn't go as planned.  

I'm thankful to report that my family has been nothing shy of supportive.  Not only do they love my fiancé, they have been quick to include him in every aspect of our family life- including birthday parties, holiday celebrations and Tuesday night dinners at Mamaw's.  As I'm planning a wedding, I couldn't imagine not having their support, kind words and input.  *Insert sign of relief*

Immediately following my engagement, I received hundred of Facebook "likes" on our pictures, warm wishes and millions of questions about the date, time, location, etc.  It was so overwhelming!  Then reality hit, HARD.  As time passed, the people in my life that had boarded what I refer to as "The happy train” slowly began making an exit.  No longer were some of my friends happy for me.  The warm wishes were quickly replaced with snide comments about how their long-time boyfriend have yet to propose, or rude tweets about how "people", (myself and other happily engaged couples) are too young to be married, or wasting our youth.  The bitterness of others began dragging me down.  I spent a month of my engagement feeling sorry for the people in my life that were feeling sorry for themselves.  One morning I woke up and realized the madness that I was allowing in my life.  I put my "big girl panties" on and I forgave myself.  I continued by forgiving the people who had hurt me with harsh words and social media posts and I began planning what is going to be the best day of my life.

As a newly engaged woman, I began being questioned.  I'd like to address some of these questions so that we can clear the air a bit.  Maybe it will inspire other future brides to think carefully about how they would answer these questions too. 

"Don't you think you're too young to be engaged and getting married?  I mean we are just in our 20's..."
Answer:  No, I don't think I'm too young to be engaged.  I trust the Lord and his plan for my life.  I'm happy.  
Explanation of my answer: People will have something to say.  Whether you are 2o or 55, people will always think you are not the appropriate age for something.  That was one of the most difficult concepts for me to grasp.  Do you know why they feel that way?  They think and feel the way that they do because of their own age, their knowledge of life, and their current circumstances.  Most of the people questioning me have been my peers, people in their 20's, who weren't engaged or in a committed relationship.  Aside from the possibility of jealousy, their questions were rooted in misunderstanding.  One of the most important life lessons I've learned from answering this question (over and over again) is this:  people will always question what they don't understand.  How would someone who has never been engaged understand your engagement?  And a better question: how would someone who has never been in your relationship, in your shoes, or involved in the decision making of your life EVER understand your readiness to be engaged?  The answer to both of those questions is: they don't understand (surprise, surprise).  As much as they believe they have a firm grasp on your life, your reality, and your situation, they don't. Bless their hearts- somewhere in that question, they are thinking of your best interest.  It's buried deep under self-interest, of course, but their concern for you, no matter how small, should never be overlooked.  Humans are flawed. They will ask you questions that really rub you the wrong way.  Politely smile, thank them for their concern, and shake any negative vibes you feel coming your way.  One of my sisters shared a Mother Teresa quote that put a lot of this in perspective.  I hope it will help you, too.

“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. 
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. 
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”


"Can I be a bridesmaid?  Why in the world did you choose HER?" 
There were many answers to this question.  Though this is overwhelming, I learned to take it in small steps.  Reality: All friends have a secret hope that you will ask them to be a bridesmaid, even if they really have no interest in participating.  Why?  It's a flattering question and really one of the sweetest things you can ask of someone!  Reality:  You can't pick all of your friends to be a bridesmaid.  Reality: People will be angry with you for not including them and including someone that they don't approve of.  WOW, right?  Say Yes to the Dress Bridesmaids and other wedding shows didn't prepare me for that.  My advice? Choose confidently and be satisfied with your decision.  The women you have by your ride are participating in the greatest day of your life.  Politely ignore any insinuation that they are not worthy of their title.  Appreciate them and UTILIZE THEIR TALENTS.  They are talented and beautiful and can offer an outside opinion that you may have not thought of.  They really are the best sidekicks any bride could ask for.  


If a lot of that seemed terrifying and overwhelming, that’s accurate.  That was my reality the first 5 months of my engagement.  If I could go back in time, I wouldn’t have let things bother me, I wouldn’t have let people get to me, and I definitely wouldn’t acknowledge what I know today to be senseless wedding drama.  I don’t think my situation is unique to engagements.  It’s a learning experience and I’m happy to have had my family, fiancé and bridal party by my side to catch me when I was falling.  Some days I fell pretty hard. 

So, now to the good stuff….

Preconceived notion: I will be engaged to the man I love, my better half and the love of my life.  He will treat me right and our wedding day is going to be the best day of our lives.  

Reality: ^ ALL OF THAT IS SO SO SO TRUE.  It's a beautiful and wonderful thing.  It's all worth it, I promise.  

I will leave you with that.  

XO,
Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment